Replacing your roof can be as costly as purchasing the building itself. Therefore, roof maintenance is important to make sure the roof lasts a very long time. Here are some of the ways to maintain the roof of your home to make sure it lasts as long as possible. Make sure to find a roofer near you that you trust.
1. Inspect The Roof – You need to inspect your roof 2 times every year and if there has been a heavy storm. That way, you can prevent some of the most common roofing problems. Remember, walking on your roof can cause some issues so it’s prudent to hire a professional if you are not aware of how to do the inspection. You can also use a pair of binoculars to avoid going on the roof itself.
2. Replace The Missing Roofing Materials – You need to prevent further damage to your roof such as mold, mildew and water leaks by replacing the missing or broken roofing materials such as shakes, tiles or shingles. If there is any weak spot in your roof, the weather elements will get in and damage the roof further. Check the roof after every severe storm to confirm if there is any damage that needs immediate repair.
3. Removing Debris – You need to check the roof gutters and clear any branches, leaves or debris. Make sure the down spouts don’t discharge on the roof surface but should be extended to the troughs of the lower roof. If your gutter is backed up, it’s going to cause damage to the shingles, tiles or shakes along the edge of the roof. They should be cleaned out thoroughly. Also, check the valleys, the areas where 2 roofing pieces join, and clear out any debris that might be stuck there. If you leave the debris, it will collect moisture that will cause mold and mildew thus damaging your roof.
4. Trimming Trees – Long and tall trees are often culprits or roof damage. When the tree branches lean on the roof, they scratch the roofing materials thus making them come loose. On the other hand, if these branches fall off, they will cause serious damage to your roof since they might puncture it. Also, falling leaves will clog your gutters causing the water to backup into your living spaces or the attic. You need to trim your trees regularly to prevent such damage to your roof.
5. Treat Moss, Mildew And Mold Immediately – If there is any mildew, moss or mold in your home, it’s a sign of a roof leak. If left for a while without proper treatment, the mold will ruin your walls and the rest of the house. Therefore, if you spot it, you should start using the right removal procedures and repair the leak in the roof.
6. Clean Your Roof Regularly – Besides the usual cleaning of gutters, you need to clean your roof regularly. Remember, it is exposed to a lot of weather elements so cleaning it makes it last longer and look brand new.
Use these and more useful tips to make your roof look good for a very long time.